Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Little Current to Byng Inlet

Little Current was my last resupply and a nice stop, I really enjoyed the time there.  After departing I went to Covered Portage, a small cove NE of Kilarney. 

I originally planned to stop at Kilarney but changed my mind and did not stop since I needed no supplies.  I proceeded up the Collins Inlet to Mill Lake and stayed the night there. 

The area was weedy and not as pleasant for swimming so I moved on to the Bustard Island group.  After the Bustards I proceeded to Byng Inlet where I am currently.  There are restaurants, groceries, and gas here so it is a good stop.  I'm able to rob Internet signals from open sources with my booster antenna.  However, I did have to move the boat to a different anchorage in order to have the band width to post this blog.


 North Georgian Bay - Little Current to Parry Sound
Summer Destination

The Little Current Bridge swinging open to let us pass

Strawberry Is. Light just east of Little Current
Little Current to Covered Portage - 07/04 - 18.3 NM
More dramatic terrain in this area
Approaching Covered Portage, NE of Kilarney

Covered Portage Anchorage - N. of Killarney
See resemblance of image from Indian Head Nickel?
Covered Portage - The Inner Cove, Very Protected
Dash, in outer anchorage.  8 boats in, 8 boats out, it is not Lake Superior where you go days without seeing a boat!
Sportsman Inn-Kilarney
Departing Kilarney Channel
Covered Portage to Mill Lake - 07/06 - 15.6 NM
Collins Inlet - Google Eart
Red Dots Outbound/Green Inbound Satellite Hits
Classic Vessel In The Channel
Kilarney Entrance Light
Cabin on Collins Inlet
Collins Inlet is a very narrow channel in places
Note how close the buoys are, just enough for Dash to get through!  Came close to running aground here!
"The Chickens" - Great Kayaking Outside Beaverstone Bay
Looks like snow capped peaks but is actually bare rock.
 Mill Lake On Collins Inlet to Bustard Islands - 07/07 - 24.1 NM
Light and Markers Approaching Bustard Island Group

Dash in outside west anchorage - Bustards
 Bustard Islands - Red Outbound, Maroon Inbound

 Google View
 This anchorage had me up at midnight when the wind switched and I was on the lee shore very close to the rocks.  I started the engines, had the running and deck lights on in anticipation of having to go quickly.  After a half hour, and my position seemingly secure, I finally went to bed and slept fine the rest of the night.

In the morning more excitement!  At 0730 I heard a call to the Coast Guard for a medical emergency.  A group of kayakers were about 4.5 miles NNE of me and were trying to make the call (probably with a handheld VHF) but were getting no answer.  I stepped in and relayed the information to the Coast Guard. 

As I was leaving the island group the Canadian Coast Guard boat went whizzing by me at high speed heading in their direction.  Not sure if they evacuated the person or not.  Thunder Bay Radio thanked me for my assistance after the conversation. 

I may have been the only person monitoring their emergency transmission since no one else was answering!

Secure Anchorage - West Inner Harbor
Unique Cat!
Narrow Dinghy Passage Between East & West Anchorages
Sunset in the Bustard's
Typical Markings - Byng Inlet
Bustard Islands to Byng Inlet - 07/08 - 19.8 NM
Interesting Cabin - Byng Inlet
Restaurant Up/Store Down - Byng Inlet
Lodging, slip rental, gas, diesel, groceries, good meals, and in a pinch, they will print out a document from a memory stick!  Post Office is about a mile away...up a creek, so to speak!
Words Say It All!
Commercial Fishing Boat Returning
Dash At Anchor - Byng Inlet
Britt Inn
A Little More Upscale Restaurant-Good Food!
View From Breakfast Table
View From Dinner Table - Dash's New Anchorage
The Boat House

No comments:

Post a Comment