Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Little Current to Meldrum Bay

Waited for four days in Little Current for the weather to lift.  Got expensive, but I enjoyed my stay.  Did major resupply there.  Lots of fellow GLCC members in harbor. 

Most of the folks left the day before I did, but there were a couple of other boats waiting so we had happy hour on board Dash the last night.  Most of the others went out just a few miles to escape the cost of the slips. 

Next stop for me was South Benjamin Island, a beautiful spot, but popular.  I think there were nine or ten boats each night.  I stayed two nights.  Great place to climb around on the rocks. It is said to be the quintessential North Channel anchorage.

 Little Current to Benjamin Islands - North Channel
08/12 - 16.2 NM
Anchored - South Benjamin Islands

 Benjamin Islands - Quintessential NC Anchorage!

Beautiful Anchorage

Looking NW Along The North Side Of The Channel
Looking South Over A Nice Ketch
Nestled Into The Pines
Dash Looking Her Best 
Interesting Rock Formations
Looking Down On Dash
Climbing Around The Rocks Is Fun!
Fleet At Anchor - South Benjamins
Ships Boat - Little Dash
Next I moved on to Long Point Cove, another great anchorage, this time only one other boat was in the anchorage.  This is extremely unusual since it is very popular.  However, even now folks are heading home with school starting soon. 

Did a little kayaking in this location, wanted to hike up to the top of the cliff the kids and I climbed in the late 90's when I was here last, but ran out of time. Originally I planned two nights but it looked like I would get stuck for with adverse weather so I moved on to Meldrum Bay, after just one night. 

 Benjamin Is. to Long Pt. Cove - 08/14 - 22.4 NM
Kayaking Around Long Pt. Cove

Long Point Cove
Peaceful Evening - Long Point Cove
At Anchor - Long Pt. Cove

Of course I knew I would be stuck somewhere so I picked Meldrum Bay instead of Thessalon since I knew I could anchor at Meldrum Bay, to supposedly save some coin. 
Early Morning Departure - Long Pt. Cove

 Long Pt Cove to Meldrum Bay - 08/15 - 24.1 NM
Outer Islands Heading Southwest Across The North Channel
Calm With Fog In Distance
At Anchor Meldrum Bay

I ended up holed up for four days again!  Got really expensive because I enjoy the restaurant and got to know the folks there.  Plus I needed to use their Internet.

I anchored the first night to save money but the next day the wind came up and my anchor dragged.  I tried to reset three times but each time I just brought up big bunches of bottom weeds, finally I was so tired out I gave up and took a slip for the next three nights which added to my expenses.  Finally made it out of there!

No comments:

Post a Comment