Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Leg 26-Still Pond to Annapolis, MD (Day 43)

0400-Got up to the alarm but I likely set it too early since sunrise is not until 0630 now. I need to adjust my alarms to give me more rest.   

Completed the routine, and was ready way too early. Had the anchor pulled in close so I could just finish the last few feet.  Couldn't go too early because of insurance, but also because I need to be able to see crab pot locations as I go out.

I left promptly at 0630 and not a soul was stirring. Started out quiet but as soon as I got out of the bay and into the ship channel the wind picked up on the bow about 12 knots. The current was in the opposite direction which created a little chop.  The good part was the current was giving me a nice boost to 6 kts.

Not much action all the way to Annapolis. One sea going ship going up to Baltimore but no conflict with me. Another large power boat going southbound, but again, no conflict. I did not power up the PC given the visual conditions and the fact that I would avoid the ship channels. 

CHESAPEAKE CHANNEL BRIDGE

ACTUALLY, TWO BRIDGES!

INTERESTING SUPPORT STRUCTURE
AND WHAT LOOKS LIKE A MAINTENANCE RIG

NOT SURE BUT IT HAS TO COME CLOSE TO CHALLENGING THE MACKINAW BRIDGE FOR LENGTH?
I was texting Bob even before I left the anchorage because he had not received a "safety" message when I anchored the evening before. This is the second time that has happened. I will have to be more careful to ensure the message is actually transmitted.

He gave me numerous tips by text on the entry into Annapolis Harbor and picking up a mooring for the evening. I finally got the phone number for the Harbor Master and called to make arrangements. No problem, plenty of moorings. 

NAVAL ACADEMY

ACADEMY TRAINING VESSELS

I was tied up before 1230 and called for a pump out. They have a vessel that comes around and will pump you out on the mooring which seemed to be a good idea to me.

I am having serious fridge issues! It is so hot the fridge cannot keep up and the freezer food is thawing and butter is melting in the fridge! 

On top of that problem I now have developed an even worse water leak in the head faucet/shower combo unit. I have to turn the water off or it will drain the tank. More of a problem when anchored or on a mooring. I called the West Marine here in Annapolis but they do not have the parts but could get them by Friday. That is unacceptable since I need to be out of here on Thursday. 

I called the Harbor Master on the VHF to find out about getting my propane filled and they sent me to the marina gas dock. When I arrived they said: "Oh no! We don't fill propane and have no idea where to get it filled." Wonderful!  So I topped up two gas cans, got some ice to defrost the fridge, and headed back to the boat. I was one frustrated puppy with all the problems and no solutions!

So what do you do? Put your head in the sand, take a shower, go ashore, have a nice dinner, and worry about it later!  So I did. 

But the problems continued. I get to a recommended restaurant, but afterward thought about the source (holding tank pump out guys) and decided I shouldn't be taking advice from these folks! I had a beer and left, the service was bad and there were only three tables with people seated in a huge place. Bad sign!

I walked up the street and could not find anything, meanwhile T-storms were threatening to the west. I needed to hustle or I would get wet!  I turned back toward the harbor and found a small Italian place and had a nice dinner. 

It was now dark and I was afraid of getting ticketed for not having lights. Sure enough I get down to the dinghy and there was the harbor police boat parked next to mine, no people, but three life jackets. I decided to get my little behind out of Dodge as fast as possible! I sneaked out close to the sterns of the boats and along the Academy bulkheads as close as possible to mask my location. Another harbor patrol boat was going opposite but did not see me. When I got across from my boat, I made a quick crossing of the channel to the boat. Very shortly after the T-Storm broke loose and I saw the police boat going the other way, likely looking for me!  

ANNAPOLIS CITY MOORING FIELD

Checked email, had some wine and chocolates for desert to celebrate my escape from arrest and jail!  Hit the sack.

Stats:  30.01 NM Charted, 29.62 NM Logged, difference is mostly current.  WT 87.0 F, Total Log 8255.4 NM. Max speed 6.29 kts, Max wind 14.5 kts.

No comments:

Post a Comment