Monday, September 8, 2014

Leg 27-Annapolis to Solomon's Island, MD (Day 45)

The morning started early and quiet except for the Navy cadets doing their morning exercise.  A few fishing boats moving around. 


CHESAPEAKE CHANNEL BRIDGE
EARLY MORNING

I headed down the harbor to a nice sunrise. Winds were favorable for a tack to the first turn so I put up sail. Winds were not strong to start and I had a current in my favor so was doing fine making about 6 kts. Had to keep a close eye on crab pot markers and came close to a couple that were poorly marked.


THOMAS POINT SHOAL LIGHT

Unfortunately, the wind picked up and was above forecast and with the current running opposite it made for a miserable chop. The boat began to pitch making it for a rough and uncomfortable day. 


NO, I DID NOT ACTUALLY SEE IT FALL!


COVE POINT LIGHT

Took some shots of sites along the way. On arrival I called ahead and the dock master was there to catch my lines.  It went smoothly but I was bushed with the ride, heat, and humidity.


APPEARS TO BE A GAS LOADING DOCK
BIG INVESTMENT!

THIS SHOWS THE OVERALL SIZE OF THE FACILITY

 I got ice, topped fuel and water, and then got cleaned up to take a walk for dinner. However, I got only as far as the pool side bar in the marina which had cold, cold, $1 draft beer, and a hot dog for another $1 during happy hour. I sat in a seat with the cold air blowing right on me and decided to stay right there.  


FISH NETS THAT GO OUT A HALF MILE OR MORE AND ARE UNLIGHTED, NOT SURE WHO IS TRAPPING WHO?

NOT THE BEST PICTURE BUT THE LIGHT SHOWS THE CRAB POT MARKERS WELL AND AS YOU CAN SEE THE POOR SUCKER COMING BEHIND ME IS HEADED RIGHT FOR THEM!

Steak (tube steak) and beer was fine with me!  I ended up topping it off with some pizza which I only ate half of so I could have some for lunch the next day.With tip my evening cost $15! Can't beat that.  


OSPREY ON THE NEST

I always plot the next day's course after I get settled and discovered my next leg was 13 NM than I had planned!  It would be a 53 NM leg down to Deltaville, VA which I am not looking forward to!  Just too long a leg. 

Hit the sack since the day must start as early as possible.

Stats: Charted 42.22 NM, Logged 43.34 NM, WT 86.3F, Total Log 8298.7 NM, Max Speed 6.92 kts., Max wind 17.7 kts.

No comments:

Post a Comment