Saturday, August 30, 2014

Lay Day 2, Cape May, NJ (Day 38)

Got up a little later today since I did not have to go anywhere right away. However, after my normal routine and breakfast I began getting the boat ready to move out at slack tide. Looked at the wind that was beginning to rise and considered how it and the current would work together. 

The anchor was already to go so all I needed to do was put away the water hose and power cord. So I topped up water and fuel and plan to refill the spare gas cans in Delaware City.

Right before slack tide I started to move the boat back and one of the dock boys jumped to help.  We moved it back and I jumped aboard and was off.  Fortunately no conflicting traffic in the tight channel going out.

Got to the anchorage and it was wide open, only one large sail boat. When I came in there was at least 10 boats.  I picked the best spot and dropped the hook. Fortunately, I got a good hold right away.  Got settled, put up some extra cockpit shade and sat back and relaxed.

USCG SEAMANSHIP TRAINING BASE
OBSERVED THE YOUNG COASTIES BEING HARASSED
The wind is above forecast, up to 22 knots in the anchorage and a steady 18-20 most of the time. It was suppose to be 10-15 knots!

Enjoyed watching the various traffic going by in the channel, which is right off the bow. Good to see, but bad because of the wash from power boats that, as usual, have no idea what there wake does, or they don't care, maybe both!  

OLD SCHOONER GIVING RIDES IN THE HARBOR

THE CHANNEL IS NARROW, NOT MUCH ROOM TO MANEUVER SUCH A LARGE VESSEL UNDER SAIL

Snacked for lunch and enjoyed some wine while I observed.  Put out some chicken to grill for dinner.


Watched an off duty "coasty" rolling over rocks on the CG base to find mussels. He had a five gallon bucket he put them in.  Made a good haul before leaving.

SOME OF THE ENTERTAINMENT
PARASAIL BOAT GOING OUT, NOTE SAIL ON STERN

SOMEONE WITH TROUBLE

FROM THE LARGEST TO THE SMALLEST

Grilled chicken, baked potato, and warm bread and white wine for dinner. Red wine and chocolates for desert after.

GOING OUT THE EAST HARBOR ENTRANCE

Will hit the sack early tonight.  Two power boats came in an attempted to raft up in the windy conditions on a lee shore. I think they finally realized it was not prudent and left. Another smaller power boat came in an anchored before dark.  

No comments:

Post a Comment