Monday, August 25, 2014

Leg 22 NY Harbor to Barnegat Inlet (Day 35)

0400-Wake up!  Had breakfast and read before departure.  Had a lot to get ready and the harbor is very tight for exit. Last night's fee was $188, a premium for a cat!

0600-Began to move out, wanted to be at the harbor entrance at 0615.  Very close quarters and the steering seems stiffer than normal, not sure why?  I had to use differential engine power at times to maneuver. One guy came out on the dock, I think he was worried about his boat!

0615-Departed the harbor with the sun coming up over the City. Ferry's are busy running back and forth and of course churn up the water.  However, that was a minimal problem.  Ship traffic was active but not as bad as anticipated, most were anchored, which caused me a lot of confusion since the AIS hits are so numerous it is difficult to determine friend from foe!


SUN UP, NYC
LOOKING UP THE EAST RIVER







Passed the Statue of Liberty and got a quick shot in the early morning light.



STATUE OF LIBERTY IN EARLY MORNING LIGHT

Passed under the bridge to Staten Island and was pretty much clear of the harbor after that. Mostly ferry's running to Staten Island and Sandy Hook plus lots of fishing boats out.  


THE BRIDGE TO STATEN ISLAND FROM BROOKLYN, OR THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

The coast was not exciting since I was 2-3 miles off.  Not much to see!  I did see several pods of porpoise through out the day but none of the frolicking and playing you see in the videos.  They pretty much ignored me.  

The day was too long with a 60 NM leg!  The weather and seas were fine but the day was particularly long with all the tense moments getting out of the harbor in traffic. Coming down the coast was not much of a problem except for numerous fishing boats I had to watch. Lots of sand beach along the coast.

The entry to Barnegat was not as easy as I expected in the relatively calm seas. There was a 4 foot swell but no wind.  Nevertheless with the current in the opposite direction of the swells, at only a knot, it still made havoc coming in. Lots of surf and waves breaking!

Two large charter fishing boats passed me going in. I followed them in and previously read up a lot on the problems with this inlet so I did not go aground like many do. Without the directions I probably would have gone aground.  It is very confusing with multiple buoys of all colors and multiple routes to take.


BARNEGAT INLET LIGHT

The anchorage was routine and I dropped the hook and went to work fixing a steak dinner. The eve was very pleasant but hot.  Took a cockpit shower since the boat was oriented away from the other boats.  Should sleep better as a result. Did not feel like jumping into the salt water.


BARNEGAT INLET ANCHORAGE

This is the first time I can really smell the salt water. In NY Harbor there was not the sea smell, but here there definitely is.  I will trade the smog for sea smell any day!

Tomorrow I will try to make Cape May which is even further, 65 NM!  An even longer day. The weather may turn so I could be stuck there a day or two, we'll see?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment