Saturday, August 30, 2014

Lay Day 1, Delaware City, DE (Day 40)

0700-Got up late since this is a lay day. Completed the morning routine and then kicked into what a lay day really is, which is a work day!

Started out with closing all hatches and washing the decks with fresh water to get rid of all the salt coming up Delaware Bay. Took the opportunity to wash away some strategically placed gull droppings on the sail cover and topping up the fresh water tank.  


UNIQUE MARINA USING THE OLD CANAL

After that was done, I opened the forward lockers and removed the contents to dry in the sun since everything got wet coming up the Bay. The compartments are not completely water tight. I also took the opportunity to balance the storage a bit by moving the yoke lumber from the port locker over to the starboard locker.  

I then updated the blogs catching up for two days.  That is always time consuming.  

Then I got the hand truck rigged with the crate to go get 15 gallons of gas on one trip. Filled the spare cans, paid for same, and then returned to the boat and stowed the cans.

Then I went up to dump trash and pick up more drinking water since I can never have enough. Checked on when they were going to change the oil in the engines since it was still not done at 1400.  

Went back and re-stowed all the gear that had been drying on deck. Checked email and then the guy showed up to change oil.  I had the engines up and ready with the covers off and oil ready to go. He had a good system that went quickly.  $90 later the oil was changed! It would make more sense to purchase a oil change kit and do it myself. He did not take more than 30 minutes to do the job and I provided the oil, pretty expensive!!  But what are you going to do?

I helped one boat leave. The wife was the captain, the husband had Alzheimer's. The current was about 1 knot.  I pushed off their bow and then the stern and it all worked out.

Later a boat came in and went into the slot they left. He was getting close to my stern so I stepped out to fend him off and he panicked and hit the throttle to escape which only made it worse. He was doing fine up to that point. As as result of the panic move I had more fending off to do then anticipated. In the end he got in okay but it took two dock hands and myself to make it happen along with the captain. This current and tight quarters make things get really interesting. A great spectator sport!

Took the first shower inside the cabin this trip. The shore side shower was so poor I would much prefer showering aboard, such a wide difference between facilities!  The Taj Mahal in Cape May a glorified outhouse in Delaware City! 


MAYBE THE NEXT BOAT?

THE WALKWAY TO CRABY DICK'S

Went to Crabby Dick's for dinner and bought some more beer on the way back. It was dark on the return. I hope I don't have problems with mosquito's tonight like last night!


SOME ROW HOUSING CIRCA MID-1800'S

ONE HOUSE OF THAT ERA I PARTICULARLY LIKED!

Bob Krchnavek and his wife Beth, who are TomCat 9.7 owners on the Chesapeake Bay, will join me here for dinner tomorrow eve. It will be nice to meet them since we have communicated over the years but never have met face to face. So I will be here one more day.


OLD HOTEL BEING RENOVATED

No comments:

Post a Comment