Saturday, August 23, 2014

Prep Day 1, Liberty Landing, NJ (Day 33)

FIRST EAST COAST SEGMENT - NYC TO NORFOLK, VA
AT SOUTH END OF CHESAPEAKE BAY AND BEGINNING OF ICW

Back onboard the boat getting ready to start the last segment of this journey. 

The first segment, the Great Lakes portion, was 813 NM, which I completed. 

Owners Pieter and Ansie Diedericks just completed the second segment, the Erie Canal and Hudson River, a total of 400.7 NM.  

The log now reads 8017.8 NM.  Total trip so far is 1213.8 NM. This is just about half of the total I expect to see by the time I arrive in Indiantown, FL. Hopefully this next section will have fewer problems!

I arrived about 1100 yesterday and the trouble started before I even landed! Pieter said four customs officers visited the boat that morning and informed him he had to go to the main Customs and Border Patrol office to file some more paperwork and a cruising plan. So before I could even get settled we were off to Customs to fix the latest problem, since Pieter and family were all leaving by 1700!  


The Freedom Tower On Manhattan Island
New Since I Passed Through in 2007
We got it accomplished but now I have to report every time I enter a port for the night. Seems excessive, but that's what they say has to be done! We'll see how that goes.

Today I was running around getting groceries for the trip and doing some re-rigging of the boat. Topped up with fuel so I'm getting close to ready.  The starboard rudder actuator needs repair before I can leave so that's tomorrow's project.  There is also a leak in the water supply causing the pump to run periodically so I hopefully will get to that too.


The Boat In The City!

Went out for a nice dinner tonight, broke the bank!  But it was typical NYC quality, even if it is NJ!  Though I have discovered they sorely need help from the Midwest when it comes to quality beef steak.  I noticed that at the grocery store today and also at dinner tonight. Good but not Midwest quality.


The View From Liberty State Park
The Walkway Passed Right By The Boat

I've included some pics from the day's roaming around the docks between chores and after dinner.  Enjoy!


Freedom Tower At Night


No comments:

Post a Comment