Friday, June 22, 2012

Copper Hbr to Caribou Is.


I checked the weather the night before, after the storm passed, and it looked good to go.  I had unfinished business but the weather window was there to go. This was my third attempt to get to Caribou Island and the weather had nixed it the last two times. 

I set the alarm for 0330 so I could get up make coffee and get things in order before going right at nautical dawn, which is an hour before sunrise at 0600. 

I had to bail and load the dinghy before I could leave, due to the rain the night before, and was not sure if I would have difficulty with the anchor or not?  It all turned out okay but I still had to use the foredeck light to pull anchor and use the running lights going out of the harbor. 

I needed the full day because the leg was 85 NM and I did not want to arrive after dark! 

Coming Out Of The Harbor, This Is What I Saw

Sunrise, Cool In The 50's

Looked Like I Would Get A Good Wind Boost
 I had hoped the winds would be sustained between 10-20 knots as forecast, but they were not and I had to use more power than I anticipated. The seas were not bad but were as forecast, just not the wind.
Looking  Back Toward Entrance-Near The High Terrain This is the far end of the Keweenaw Peninsula.  

06/21 Copper Harbor to Caribou Island 87.9 NM 
Looking Out From My Perch In The Salon
 Normally I spend most of my time inside reading, sorting pictures on the computer, watching for ships on the secondary navigation (laptop), filling out my log, cooking, washing dishes, pumping fresh water into the tank, fixing things, cleaning house, it goes on and on.
Ship Upbound For Thunder Bay
 Ships are a constant concern so I am monitoring the AIS all the time.  This day I only had three ships show up but five or six is not uncommon sometimes with complicated solutions to prevent collision.
Lot Of Shipping On Superior

Typical AIS Cockpit Ship Display - Black Is Dash

AIS Ship Data

On His Way To Thunder Bay

Approaching Caribou Light House
 This island was owned by an American pilot at one time and he built a cabin and used to fly his Lake Amphibian out and land either on the big lake or a small inland marshy lake.  Unfortunately, his wife was not as excited by the remote living as he was.  In the end it was sold to the Nature Conservancy but is still a Canadian Island.

 Caribou Island - Anchored Exposed East Side

Unique Design For Superior
 One of the most interesting things I find about light houses is how different they are on the same lake.  There are a few built from similar designs or patterns, but many are very different from each other.
Fairly Large Complex

Noticed A Large Dock/Slip Behind The Light Would have liked to check out this slip to see if it is usable, it would depend on depth of course.  All around this island are reefs so it is not an easy place to approach.
I Made It But Just!
I made it by the end of the day, but had to put up an anchor light immediately.  The light house side was exposed to the wind and waves so I had to go around to the east side and anchor in about 15 feet of crystal clear water with sand bottom.  Beautiful beaches but it was late, I was tired so I hit the sack pretty fast.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, testing, testing see if you there, have a few questions cheers Jerry

    ReplyDelete