Monday, June 4, 2012

WiFi Boost Antenna

The current project just completed is the WiFi Boost Antenna. Built by a Canadian company (Bitstorm Inc.) out of Toronto.  They build the BadBoy Xtreme...I know, not the best name in the world!  However, they received a good report from Practical Sailor. 

I also added the ship board WiFi option (Unleashed HP) so I don't have to plug in a cable to the laptop.  Not sure who was in charge of naming this stuff!

BadBoy Xtreme
Below is the internal WiFi antenna which is supposed to give me up to a 1/4 mile.  I wanted to avoid the cable attachment to the laptop and this will do it.  In addition, I wanted access via my HTC EVO Sprint Phone at some distance from the boat. 

Unleashed HP WiFi Antenna
Bitstorm liked the alternate site shown here on the GPS antenna arm off the radar mast.  The problem was it was very close to the mast and GPS antenna.  I liked the mostly clear aft pipe arch. It is possible to still make the change if I don't like it where it is.  See below:

Alternate Mount Site-GPS Antenna Arm Off Radar Mast
Following are a couple shots of the current mount from different perspectives:

This Mount Site Is Mostly Clear

Only Concern Might Be A Loose Reef Line Getting Caught Up On The Antenna
Okay, I know you are wondering what that mysterious antenna is on top of the radar?  Now don't laugh, I paid big bucks for this sophisticated device!   It is called an anti-gull device! It is made from a .99 cent mini-toilet plunger attached with silicone to the top of the radar and its sole purpose is to keep gulls from landing on the unit and leaving reminders of their visits all over the radar and the end of the kayak!  It does work but the occasional smart one figures out how to land without hitting their wings.  In those cases I add some fish line or string from the top of the plunger to the base of the radar...which makes it impossible to land. 

Some day I will share the details of my anti-otter device, which is anther sophisticated and complicated piece of work!  Again, its sole purpose was to keep the otters in Grand Marais Harbor from boarding the boat up the stern steps, and leaving even worse leavings!  Fish bones, and stuff almost impossible to get out of the gel coat! 

One scared me half to death one night when it slid down my windows right over my head when I was up looking for what I thought was some sneaky person boarding the boat rather secretively.  Next thing I know, the otter slid by only inches from my head and unceremoniously leaped off the bow of the boat after hearing some one's very frantic screaming and noise making!  Oh the adventures of Grand Marais Harbor!

No comments:

Post a Comment