Saturday, June 23, 2012

Grand Marais, Michigan

The trip from Caribou to Grand Marais, MI was routine and under power for the most part.  I sailed a little in the beginning but it did not last.  I was at anchor by 1800.  I turned over 5000 miles on my knot log coming into the harbor so I cleaned up and went to town for dinner to celebrate!

My primary purpose for coming to GM was to get gas but also to fill one propane bottle, if I could, and buy some groceries. 

I was previously thwarted in my effort to buy gas in Copper Harbor because the only station was closed in town and then the storm hit and I could not get off the boat for three hours.  I did not want to kill another day just waiting to get gas and I felt I would get plenty of wind going to Caribou.  However, the wind was not as forecast and using the engines cut too much into fuel reserves, thus requiring a stop in Grand Marais.

My original plan was to go direct White Fish Point Harbor of Refuge, but there are no facilities there and the Soo was around 100 NM.  My reserves were too thin and running out of gas going through the lock was not an option!  Thus I diverted to Grand Marais, MI.  Not a bad place to end up under the circumstances.

Approaching GM, Grand Sable Dunes just to west.
Tug with barge tied up at the wall.
The Tug "Duluth."
Working barge placing rock with small tug assisting.
My next boat, when I get out of sail...well maybe in another life!
The city has been waiting for this break wall for many years.  The previous one was destroyed in a large storm.
Sandy beach close by.  I waded right off the boat here last year, but too cool at 60 degrees this year!
Nice beach house.
My work boat for the day, hauling groceries, gas, propane, and garbage.
Mode Of Fuel Transportation
You can see the current harbor is open to NE.
Dash in the distance.
Interesting building.

City history.
Old ship anchor from an earlier time.
It's for sale!
The Pickle Barrel House
The history of the house.
The rain is coming!
Propane tank and groceries on the dolly.

Great for hauling longer distances, saves my back and arms!  I trucked gas on the dolly from the local station, six total today (30 gallons). 

The hardware store does propane, but only on a schedule, 4 pm each day,... only in small towns.  Kind of like shutting down the only gas station for four days!  The surprise was that I could get the tank filled at all.

The ship is loaded and ready to launch in the morning weather permitting.  See you in the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment