Sunday, June 3, 2012

Water Filtration System

5 micron pre-filter on left-UV light on right
I had most of the system installed prior to leaving Ontonagon, but the wiring was not complete and I had some minor leaks with a couple of the filters.  I finished the wiring yesterday and tested the system.  All works fine.  I still have some minor leaks to plug but nothing major.  I used the system last night after showering aboard.  I re-filled the tank afterwards from the harbor.  I drank some of the tap water to test. Not like bottled water but certainly drinkable.

Middle of picture is the lake water pump and strainer-Foreground is the post tank pump and accumulator.
The water is pumped in with the lake water pump through the strainer, into the pre-filter, then through the UV light which takes care of most of the bad stuff.  It is goes into the storage tank from there.  Post tank, the second pump moves the water through the accumulator then into the .9 micron ceramic filter to get the rest of the bad stuff.  Next it goes through a 1 micron carbon filter for taste.  After that it distributes to the hot water heater, galley, and shower outlets in the cockpit and head.

Aft Port Berth Locker

.9 Micron Ceramic Filter 

1 Micron Carbon Filter
Yesterday I finished the wiring and switch installation.  The bonus with this panel is there is now an additional 12 VDC plug for this berth.  The switches are particularly beefy and easy to access.  The lake water pump switch is on the top left, the UV light is "accessories", the third switch is currently unused. 

Wiring the switch panel

Switch Panel

Finished Install
If you have questions about the system, send me a note.  The system will allow me to pump water from the lakes so I do not have to be tied to a marina for water supplies.  On Superior, I did this without filtration when offshore at least five miles.  On the lower lakes I will not be able to do that.  This was my solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment