Monday, June 18, 2012

Grand Marais to Eagle Harbor

Departed Grand Marais Harbor on June 17, about 0515, heading for Eagle Harbor, Michigan on the Keweenaw Peninsula.  Winds forecast to be about 10-20 knots, seas to 4 feet, which is what I got for the most part.  Took 17 hours to cover the distance.  Arrival was right at sunset.  I had to put out an anchor light almost immediately.



Departing Grand Marais 0515

06/17 Grand Marais, MN to Eagle Harbor, MI - 90.5 nm



 
Nice Sunny Day With Good Breeze 
PC Navigation - Secondary Nav
Just A Few Miles To Go!
Like A Hot Coal Dropped Into The Water!
Old Laker Upbound
Sunset - Arrival Eagle Harbor

Eagle Harbor Light
Note Range Onshore-Go Between The Rocks!
Really Close!


Looking Back Out-Not Good In Fog Or At Night!

S/V Dash
Swimming Beach With The Ship's Boat

The History

Ready To Go

Today I fixed the starboard engine which was not functioning due to the shift linkage failure.  I was able to finally fix it but it had me concerned for awhile due to the difficulty in reaching the two nuts required to secure the linkage. 

I also fixed the Blue Tooth driver problem for my GPS I use with the laptop as my secondary means of navigation and AIS ship detection.  The primary was still functional.  

Went ashore for dinner and had a great grilled white fish with baked potato, salad, and roll accompanied by a Canadian Molson. 

Tomorrow I go to Copper Harbor about 13 NM east where I plan to stay for a couple days.  It has been warm here, which is hard to get used to, mid-70's, I'm used to mid-60's in Grand Marais with the low 50's at night.  Cooling off tonight but still 75 in the cabin at 2200!  I better start adjusting because this is what's ahead on Lake Huron.

No comments:

Post a Comment