Saturday, July 5, 2014

4th of July & Lay Day - Marquette, MI

The town was buzzing with activity for the 4th, no wonder I didn't find a place at the inn (marina).  



Sail Vessel Next To Me In Anchorage All Dressed Up
Took a shower aboard and then headed in for an early dinner at my favorite place, "L'Attitude". Had some of their great white fish tacos with a glass of chardonnay. Great!


L'Attitude Street Side Cafe
Afterward, I wandered through the celebration grounds where the firemen were demonstrating their skills with a fire hose:


Fire Fighters Demonstrating Their Skills With The Hose
There was a orchestra giving a free concert, later a rock band played. Food and beer stands all over. People laying out their spots for the fireworks. Too many people for me! So I headed out to the peace and quiet of the boat at anchor. You can see from the pictures why I did not tie up where the dressed power boat was!


The Crowd
Power Vessel Dressed For The Boat Parade, It Had Lights All Around As Well.
The Concert Crowd
I relaxed in the cockpit with my favorite chocolate covered almonds and a glass of red wine for desert after dinner, beautiful day!


Relaxing In The Cockpit
Sat around a few hours before the fireworks and then set up my folding chair on top of the cabin roof to watch. Set up the camera and tripod to see if I could catch some pictures for you of the fireworks. I had one of the best seats in the house!  See pics below:





Just A Few Shots Of The Fireworks
Wind came up in the night and it was rocking and rolling a little this morning in the 18-23 knot winds coming through the anchorage. Also cloudy today and a rain shower went through early in the morning. 

Had to row ashore since the dinghy motor is on the fritz! Not a time to have that fail! My list of boat issues is getting longer. Fixed one light bulb in the anchor light, but their is another one out in the head vanity, no luck with replacement in Houghton. The CB remains unfixed, and now the dinghy motor is out of commission. I'm thinking electrical based on behavior. Not sure where I will get that fixed? Certainly not here on a Saturday!

Anyway, it was a hard row upwind into the harbor where I found some refuge to tie up. Went up to my favorite breakfast place "Donkers". They serve an outstanding breakfast and it was as busy this morning as the harbor was last night.  

Went back out to the boat, mostly downwind so not so bad though I saw a couple of folks wondering what I was doing rowing out into the wind and waves in a dinghy! It was rough even in the harbor.

Finally got my phone modem working again, it was also on the fritz, had to reset the WiFi. 

Wind dropped a little bit so I quick put the dinghy up on the davits and took the motor off since it isn't working. No sense dragging it around in this wind. Will likely go in for a dinner later depending on wind and waves.

Plan remains to leave in the morning but if I go to Munising (34 NM), probably not too early, due to a wind change later in the day which will help me with the right turn south. 

If I go direct Grand Marais, MI (60 NM) I will go early. South wind in the morning about 10-15 knots but going light to calm late in the afternoon. No final decision yet, but leaning toward Munising as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment