Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Leg 2-Repostion to Houghton, MI

Today was just a short re-position of about 4.5 NM to the downtown area.  I passed under the lift bridge at about 1000 and docked on the city dock, which is free.  Good access to downtown.  

Houghton-Hancock Lift Bridge

Higher winds, cold water, and muddy bottom kept me from working on the centerboard pin that sheared.  I talked with a local at Joey's Fish Tacos at lunch and an area not far away was suggested that may have sand bottom where I can get in the water to replace the pin. Water temp here is 66 degrees so it is 3 degrees warmer than in my anchorage last night.  Still cool but tolerable for a short time.

Passed another catamaran (Gemini) going up-bound in the channel as I headed for the lift bridge. 

Called up on VHF 12 and passed under the bridge without fanfare.  The wind nicely pushed me onto the dock which worked out fine alone.

The day started cloudy with some light rain showers but ended up warm, sunny and breezy. 

Ships log reads 6885.7 NM, all but a hundred or so are mine.  The log under reads so I am sure I am over 7000 miles on this boat.

Was trying to rig the Davis Anchor Light last night which uses less power, but the bulb was burned out!  Had to use the ship's anchor light which is power hungry at about an amp per hour and has to be turned off manually. The Davis has a solar switch which is the way to go.  Anyway, walking around town I found a hardware store which I thought might have a bulb and sure enough I found a bulb that looked right, tested it, and it works, but we'll see how long it lasts?

Having more trouble with internet here than in the anchorage last night. Everything is tied up with security. The public library is right next to the boat but the signal is blocked for some reason. I get a strong signal from the Hancock Marina across the channel but don't have the security code.  Was tempted to walk over and see if I could get it.  Instead I hauled my clunker laptop to the library.  Have a great window view of the water from where I am typing!

No comments:

Post a Comment