Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Leg 20 - Conneaut, OH to Barcelona, NY (Day 30)

0400-Got up before the alarm. Too much anticipation! Wind forecast is stronger than I had hoped, could be a real ride!

0545-Finished breakfast, even did dishes since I was so early. Started up the furnace for awhile since it was still 64F in the cabin.

0600-Walked over to the office to turn in my card key. Will delay one hour based on the harbor master's recommendation. He thought the line of T-storms would move through by that time. However, there is a stationary front just to the south so I think they may just continue to re-generate.

0700-Waited an hour, some change but not much movement.  They are just cooking in place!

0745-Finally decided I was going to go, regardless. I am loosing too much time! Put on all my rain gear and set off.  A couple of horns blasted in the harbor as I left, not sure if it was goodbye, or not?

0800-Outside the harbor the wind picked up from the south so I rolled out the Genoa for a boost, wind will be off the stern today so no main since it tends to block the Genoa which is the larger sail. 3' to 4' leftover swells from the west too. SOG is 5.7 kts. Hope the wave action backs off some.

0830-Fired up the furnace again to help with the humidity.  OAT 61F, cabin 67F.  Lots of surfing in the NW swells.

0945-Trip 11 NM, SOG 6.0 kts., Genoa with engines @ 3400 RPM, trying to make up some time lost.  OAT 64F, Cabin 70F. Turned off furnace. Sun starting to break through. 13.7 NM to the turn at Presque Isle.

1130-Passing Erie, PA (Presque Isle).  PA only has a short stretch in this area along the lake. Holding off lunch until I pass the Presque Isle Light and am on the new course.


PRESQUE ISLE LIGHT-ERIE, PA

1215-Passed the Light, ETA is about 1630.  Still motor sailing, 6.0 kts w/3100 RPM. Wind is up some.  Put leftover pizza in the oven and topped the fresh water tank from the lake.

1315-Finished lunch, seas have not flattened as hoped, wind is up to 15-18 kts, or more. Seas also up some. Listening to satellite Classic Radio. Tentatively plan to anchor.

Don't understand the swell, the wind is not that strong to create this much swell? Some are almost 5 feet.


CAN'T REALLY SEE THE SEAS, CAMERA CAN'T GIVE A GOOD PERSPECTIVE, BUT YOU CAN SEE THE WEATHER

1415-Going by Freeport, PA which is the border with NY. Getting closer to the end of this part of the trip in Buffalo. SOG up to 6.4 kts at times so making good time but a lot of surfing going on in the bigger waves. I'm tired already, but it will have to wait.

Got woke up in the middle of deep sleep again last night. This time someone was towing in another boat that broke down and as they slowed in the harbor, the towed boat swung around and was going to hit my boat so the guy jumped on my bow and pushed his boat off. Of course this woke me and I couldn't figure out what just happened! Got dressed to go out and look but couldn't see anything in the low light. Don't think he hit the boat. More disturbed sleep!

1615-Entered Barcelona Harbor, very narrow in the big swells. When I finally got into the calm of the harbor I noticed the dredging barge was parked.  Tried to go around him in what was marked as 7' of depth.  I saw some shallow depths and pulled up the CB and tried to get back toward the barge more but went aground. I am pretty sure the CB pin sheared again!  I was so disappointed!

I had pre-planned my entry to Barcelona in great detail since I knew there were shallow depths in the harbor. I had looked at the aerial photos and saw where three sailboats were anchored and pre-planned my sight lines to ensure I went right to the center. It wasn't to be! The harbor chart was not accurate.

A guy on shore yelled to tell me what I already knew, it was shallow where I was! He made a suggestion on where to anchor so I ended up right next to the barge where they recently dug out the mud. I felt pretty good going to Buffalo tomorrow with everything pretty much back running right, until now! It is hard to just relax this evening. But one good thing is, I have good internet!


BARCELONA LIGHTHOUSE

2015-I put down the dinghy to look at the centerboard and it is in the full retract position, it did not shear the pin. There must be damage to the actuator itself.  The good part is it seemed to fully retract so it should not slap the bottom of the boat like it does with a sheared pin.  Since it is made of carbon fiber it floats on the surface. With a sheared pin it has a tendency, in rough water, to slap against the top of the slot which is annoying. It responded to a retract selection, but will not extend. Another problem!  

Stats:  Trip 48.27 NM, WT 76.8F, Log 7572.6 NM, Max Speed 7.94 kts, Max Wind 19.7 kts.

No comments:

Post a Comment