Sunday, July 13, 2014

Leg 8 Soo to Detour, MI (Day 13)

Well I had the usual mix today, fog, wind, and rain.

0440-Got up with the second alarm, didn't hear the first. I have not been sleeping well. Had coffee, did some reading, and then ate breakfast.  

0620-Late out of the gate due to problems with the AIS on my PC. Somehow the settings got screwed up. It was calm with good vis as I got ready. But, as soon as I pulled away from the dock, the lights went out!  Fog down to 1/4-1/2 mile. Just what I need with all the ship traffic!

Immediate concern was the active ferry crossing a mile or two down river. AIS is good at telling me what he was up to. He was on the west shore when I approached. 

0700-Already had two 1000 footers meet me in the narrow channel. Again, AIS tells me when they are coming so no surprises. I just made sure I was out of the way!


SHIP EMERGES OUT OF THE FOG

ALWAYS MAKE ME UNCOMFORTABLE!

0800-Saw the second pair of Osprey nesting on the day markers on the side of the channel. Current started out at 2 kts as the waters broaden the current drops to about 1 kt. SOG 6.0 kts. Trip 8 NM so far. WT 57.5F. OAT 62F, IAT 67F.


OSPREY TENDING HER NEST
THEY HAVE PUT PLATFORMS ON THE DAY MARKERS FOR THIS PURPOSE.

0845-Sun is now out, fog is gone. Current up to 3 kts in the very narrow Nebish Cut made for one ship only, no room to pass so it is not a fun place to have a ship overtake you. SOG 7.8 kts. 

0945-Fortunately, no ships showing on AIS as potential conflicts. I am planning to go the marina if winds are not too strong.


MAMA TUG AND BABY TUG

FLAT CALM CONDITIONS-SOON TO CHANGE!

1000-Looks like weather will cooperate, some T-Storm activity to north but should be okay.


STORM CLOUDS BREWING TO NW
TERN RESTING ON BUOY

1130-Frontal passage, wind jumped to 25 kts initially. Put out the Genoa for a boost making good speed. Left the engines running at idle since I am still in the ship channel. Ship "Edward Speer" is upbound so I will meet him soon though he is still out on Lake Huron.


ROUND ISLAND LIGHT HOUSE
PRIVATELY OWNED

1245-Docked in marina with the help of 3 gals working the dock. Winds were up to 32 kts on the water and still gusting over 25 kts in the harbor. The day started with a whisper and ended with a roar! Glad to be at the dock!


THIS GUY DROPPED HIS MAIN, RATHER SLOPPILY AND CAME IN BARE POLES-MOM AND THE KIDS WERE HIDING BELOW!

DE TOUR HARBOR MARINA NEWLY RE-BUILT 2013

NIETVERDIENT FINALLY AT REST,
GLAD TO BE IN HARBOR

NOTE: For those wanting to know how AIS works, refer to the web site home page (http://dashthecat.com/), click on Dash Features/AIS Display Demo, or use the following link: (http://dashthecat.com/page10.html)

Stats: Trip 32.74 NM, WT 62F, Log 7121.3, Max wind 31.9 kts, Max speed 7.62 kts., Ave. speed 5.2 kts.



No comments:

Post a Comment