Friday, July 25, 2014

Leg 17-Lakeside Marina to Beaver Park Marina (Day 25)

0615-Leaving Lakeside Marina to go west 4 NM to Beaver Park Marina. Started out as a boon doggle!  First, when the boat would not back up and pulled to the left I could not figure out what was wrong, it was acting strange! Well, yeah, because you idiot!  You left a port bow line still tied to the dock!!! I completely missed it in the early morning light since it was on the opposite side of the boat from where I was tied up.  

Once I got that line off and could actually back up, I thought things would begin to look up. No! The boat would not back around to port, to go bow out. I only had reverse on the left engine and it refused to turn that way, I did not have enough rudder. So I was stuck halfway with no way to turn the boat to the left.  

I tried using different combinations I had available but nothing seemed to work except to let the boat go around to right and back out. So that is what I did. Of course it did not want to back straight but continually pulled the boat to starboard, the side with no reverse. Fortunately there was enough room to back around in a kind of a half circle and eventually get out of there. This was in a calm, not sure what I would have done with any wind!  

0700-Arrival at Beaver Park North went much smoother. I was prepared with every fender board I had and lines run. Two guys were waiting for me at the dock and I slid in with no issues. Glad to be at the dock.

NARROW ENTRANCE FACING NORTH
DAY I WAS TO COME IN THE WAVES WERE 4 FEET AND WIND WAS 25 KTS FROM THE NORTH, NO REVERSE ON ONE ENGINE, DECLINED TO COME IN, GLAD I DIDN'T!

Mike and Casey went immediately to work and removed the old engines pretty quick. They lifted them by hand. Strung all the cables and harnesses with no issues.

ENGINES REMOVED FROM WELLS

OLD ENGINES LOOKING REJECTED

1000-While Mike went back to their South Marina to ready the engines, Casey got under the boat in a kayak and after great difficulty was able to reconnect the centerboard. He said he would not be anxious to do it again!

Meanwhile Mike discovered Snafu #1, the new ignitions have a choke, the old ones didn't so the ignition panels were not the same. However, Mike came up with a solution using two switches for the choke in place of the old dead-man's switches on the old ignition plates. I previously disconnected them back in 2012 when I went to an electrical man over board system called AutoTether. Looks like Mike's solution should work.

1130-They brought over the new engines and got them ready to mount and brought in the crane to lift them into position and immediately ran into Snafu #2 which was that the mounting plates of the old engines were 1/2" too narrow. New plates needed to be fabricated and welded to the sliding mount.  

ATTEMPT TO INSTALL THE STARBOARD ENGINE, SNAFU #2 WAS DISCOVERED.  ENGINE MOUNT BOLT HOLES DID NOT MATCH THE NEW, 1/2 " DIFFERENCE!

1330-A welder was found that had the stainless steel plate and could fabricate and weld the pieces needed today. We are awaiting the parts as I type this.

DRY SLIPS
BOATS ARE LAUNCHED ON DEMAND

1500-Welder did the work, the crew fastened the mounts, crane lifted the engines into place.  Now hooking up cables and harnesses.  Although I mention only two snafus, there were at least five to six. I only listed the more serious ones.  This team was very professional and just kept on going when they were thrown a loop!


SERIOUS CRANE OPERATION

SECOND ATTEMPT AT PLACING
THE STARBOARD ENGINE

INSTALLING THE PORT ENGINE

1600-Bill, the owner of South, took me to a propane fill station so I got the spare filled. Will have plenty of propane for this trip.

1700-Finished engines, everything seems to work.  Everyone in the complex in a leadership role, and some that didn't came by to check things out and pass on greetings. Very gracious folks. The place has been in one family nearly 100 years!

1800-All panels are back in place, all gear back in their respective garages (aft cabins). Need to clean myself up and get something to eat.

1930-Went over to the restaurant to eat and the brothers who own North and South both came by to greet me one more time.  Very nice folks.  I will be out of here at O'dark thirty in the morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment