Friday, July 4, 2014

Leg 3-Houghton to Big Bay, MI

Departed Houghton City Dock looking for a place just to the east in the channel to work on the CB, unfortunately, water temperature was only 63 degrees F!  Too cold to work!


Departing Houghton City Dock For Big Bay

Houghton City Dock-No Amenities, 
But Good Access To Downtown
I gave up on the CB project early thinking I will wait until Big Bay where there is a lot of sand in the entrance to the harbor. Figured I could do the work there.  

Light breeze in the morning 5-10 kts.  

1100 rounded the Lower Entrance Light and soon after raised all sail.  Winds were still light but it gave me some lift for motor sailing.  Reduced RPM from standard of 3600 to 3000 so saving some gas.  Water temp in this area is 53.8F, however I saw a high one place in the lower end of Portage Lake indicating almost 67F.

1215 I noted I was off course to Pt. Abbaye. Evidently I advanced the waypoint inadvertently so it would have taken me over the point instead of around! Good reason to pay attention!

Made lunch, grilled chicken salad with cashews, chips, and beer.  Wine and chocolates for desert.  I eat well!

OAT 71F, water temp (WT) 50F, cabin temp 74.

1645 entered Big Bay Harbor looked for a place to work on CB but water temp was 60F so I gave up that plan.  Went to the dock where a guy and his grandson helped me dock.  Michagan docks are the worst!  They simply do not design their docks for small boats not made of steel! This one had lots of black rubber tires fastened to the bulkhead, the scourge of any white hulled boat!


Big Bay Harbor of Refuge-A Quiet Overnight

No one around, Have to call for service, I chose not to.
Stayed aboard and made dinner, spaghetti, hot roll, and wine.  Chocolates and wine for desert.  Set alarm for 0500 to leave by sunrise.

Stats for the day: Log 6928.7 NM, Day's Trip 43.05 NM.

No comments:

Post a Comment