Monday, July 7, 2014

Lay Day -Grand Marais, MI (Day 7)

Today was a rest day...to some extent. No day is really a rest day since there is always work to do!

Started out by doing my morning coffee and study and then loaded up the dinghy to go ashore. Needed to take a propane tank up to get re-filled.  


MORNING SUN REFLECTION

Dropped it off at the hardware store and they told me to return about 3:30 PM. I went to the grocery store to see if I could find an envelope to send a check to Kate for gas she put in the car. I hated to buy a box of 40 and in short order talked the gas station gal out of a single envelope, a gift for the cause!


PICKLE BARREL HOUSE

THE HISTORY

Headed back to the boat to do the blog for yesterday. Finished that and then loaded the dinghy with gas cans to refill and the folding cart and new folding crate to hold the gas cans (see Tweet pic). I figured I could load the propane tank on top of it all and get it down to the shore.


YOU GET TO MORNING COFFEE ANY WAY YOU
CAN WHEN YOU LIVE IN THE COUNTRY!

The shower sump pump seemed to fail or not be working properly so I figured it was just stuffed with gunk. So I pulled up all the floor boards and cleaned it out and checked the pump. No it was not working right!  The float switch was acting funny and was not functioning correctly. It finally failed completely. So another "glitch" in the boat systems. My record is not good this year, the list keeps growing!


FLOWERS AND NATIVE GRASSES
GREAT OVERLOOKS IN THE HARBOR

Went ashore to get the gas for the motors and pick up the refilled propane tank at the same time. Accomplished that, then returned to the dinghy with my load. Worked like a charm. 

When I got to the marina ramp there were a couple of small deep keeled sailboats getting ready to launch. I observed one guy hook up his boat trailer with an extension bar about 12'-15' long while I talked with one of the gals watching. It looked precarious to say the least. The boat sat well over your head and this little bar was supposed to keep it all under control going down a steep ramp!

Well the story goes...it did not work! The extension completely separated from the trailer hitch and the whole rig was free wheeling and went bouncing and swinging dangerously all the way into the drink, trailer and all!  

I was afraid a couple of bystanders would get hit by the out of control boat but no one was hurt, thank goodness! I think the boat survived any serious damage but I'm not sure how they got the trailer back? I left the excitement and headed to the boat. Too much for my heart!

Took a shower but it was not very successful either. Evidently, I need to replace the ceramic water filter too. I just cleaned it and it is already dirty. Probably end of life. So I had a bit of a cold shower. Currently, I am bypassing the shower sump pump and using the main sump pump for the shower until I can get a replacement. 


OLD SHIPS ANCHOR

Went ashore to get some dinner and mail a letter to Kate. Took some pics which are inserted into this blog. Back aboard for the evening. I am currently leaning toward staying another day, since I am at anchor and a day ahead of schedule. I could use a another day to let my back heal up. It has been bothering me (I normally don't have back problems) and it has been quite painful at times. Today it was much better. A little more rest may be in order. The next two days of weather look very similar so it probably won't matter which day I pick to go to Whitefish Point.


TYPICAL SANDY SHORE IN THIS AREA OF THE LAKE
HEADING BACK TO THE BOAT

No comments:

Post a Comment