Friday, July 4, 2014

Leg 4-Big Bay to Marquette, MI

Alarm went off at 0500!  Thought that would give me time to make coffee and get ready.  I planned to eat breakfast underway. Unfortunately, I was still late by 15 minutes, not the end of the world, but missed the mark.

Mosquitoes were the worst I have seen last night.  I had everything closed up and they still got in.  I have decided they are coming in the solar vents which have no screens, primarily the intake.  The out flow vent would likely give them a challenge!  I was killing mosquitoes all night and all day today!  


BIG BAY LIGHT
As soon as I was out of Big Bay and made a right turn toward Marquette I rolled out the Genoa.  I had the main ready but decided it was the usual morning offshore breeze which would soon dwindle.  But I got some lift from the Genoa and backed off power some to save gas.

0730-Rolled up the Genoa when it began to flop around.  I was just starting breakfast: egg and sausage omelet, split on two halves of an English muffin.  A little OJ to go along and coffee to follow up.

0830 Rolled out the Genoa again and just as promptly rolled it back up.  Winds are just fluky, typical summer Lake Superior!

0850 Both engines automatically shut down and all the alarms were going off.  The Auto Tether shut down the engines. The remote which I carry in my pocket in case I fall overboard must have had weak batteries.  I changed the batteries.

Weather, sunny and calm.  Beautiful 4th of July!  


ROUNDING PREQUE ISLE PARK-MARQUETTE, MI

ZOOM IN FOR CAPTIONS OF COCKPIT PANEL
1100 Called Cinder Pond Marina in MQT and they were full, no room at the inn!  So I chose to anchor rather than go to the public wall tie up, which is "very" public and full of power boats, and not the best tie up arrangement.  I prefer to anchor if I can't get into a marina.  Found a nice spot with sand bottom in about 10' depth.  

WORKING DOCKS-PRESQUE ISLE-MARQUETTE, MI

MARQUETTE LIGHT
1130 settled in to the anchorage, lowered the dinghy and went ashore to see if I could scrounge an internet password and check to see about washing clothes.  Surprise, surprise!  The marina office had been razed and was no longer!  During the winter the building cracked in half with the cold and was condemned.  They had some make shift showers but no washing!  However, I did get the internet password which in the end did not work, my phone as a modem works better.

While I was going into the marina the dinghy motor suddenly quit.  It had been running beautifully.  I could not restart no matter what I did.  It appears to have fuel so must be spark. I will see what I can find out later. Too hot to work this afternoon, OAT 84F!  

Will shower later, and go in for dinner ashore. It will be rowing power today!

No comments:

Post a Comment