Thursday, July 17, 2014

Leg 11-Harrisville to Harbor Beach, MI (Day 17)

0500-Forecast was for generally light winds and fairly calm so decided to sleep an extra 30 minutes and get up late! Made coffee to drink while getting ready.

0600-Departed the harbor, no issues in spite of a stronger breeze than anticipated.

0630-Finally got the fenders and lines put away after departure, rolled out the Genoa. Enough wind to sail on a broad reach so put up the main. Should have gotten the main ready before departure but didn't think I would have wind. Makes a mess when you put up the Genoa before the main!

0645-Full sail, SOG 6.6 kts. Engines at idle for electric generation. I have marine charts and AIS inside on the PC, in addition to the cockpit display. I will be crossing some shipping lanes and wanted to keep a closer watch when I am inside on watch.

0750-Made breakfast, cereal, toast w/PB, OJ, and more coffee. One sailboat departed before me and I am following him but he seems faster.

0815-SOG 5.6 kts. Trip 12 NM, AWS 7 kts off starboard quarter. Several ships on AIS, but no conflicts. Turned furnace off.

1000-Already hungry so took a break from listening to my audio book and made a couple of toasted mini-bagels with cream cheese and more coffee. 

1045-SOG 5.5 kts, Trip 26 NM, OAT 70F, cabin 72F

1130-Covey of power boats traveling together to my east, one with AIS, all northbound. Another small cat going northbound to my west. 

1300-Made lunch of apples, cheese, crackers, and nuts, with chocolates and wine for desert.

1350-Abeam Point Aux Barques Light (Huron City). Trip 43 NM

1430-Sailboat wing on wing catching up with me off the stern. He has AIS which indicates he won't pass before I am at the harbor.

1630-Docked at Harbor Beach, MI. Long day again with short sleep last night. Overall good sailing again today. I bypassed Tawas City as a stop so I have gained back the day lost in the Soo getting the OB fixed.


HARBOR BEACH LIGHT

GAS DOCK-HARBOR BEACH

NEITVERDIENT AT REST AFTER LONG DAY
THE NAME MEANS "UNDESERVED" IN AFRICANS
OWNER IS ORIGINALLY FROM SOUTH AFRICA

Steak, baked potato, hot roll, and wine for dinner. To top off the day!

Some after dark shots in the marina:

WALKWAY TO SHORE FACILITIES

HARBOR AT NIGHT

Stats: Trip 54.57 NM, WT 70.1F pretty warm! Log 7261.9, Max wind 18.5 kts, Max speed 7.21 kts.

No comments:

Post a Comment