Thursday, July 31, 2014

Leg 21 - Barcelona to Buffalo, NY (Day 31)



0230-Thunder storm came through and woke me up. A little more breeze than I expected and I was concerned that the stern anchor would not keep me from swinging into the dredging barge.

First I got up and just went out in my shorts to look around, I didn't like what I saw. The dredge had a bright light on deck which blinded me so it was difficult to see but it looked like the stern anchor had dragged. I went back and at least put on a rain jacket, but it didn't help my perspective. So back I went and got fully dressed.

I hemmed and hawed and finally pulled up the stern anchor which sure enough was clogged with mud. I started the engines and used them to move me around the circle of the primary rode to a position away from the barge and reset the anchor.

0300-I stood around and didn't know whether to go back to bed or not? Wasn't sure I could sleep with all the worry about the anchorage. Checked the weather for more storms but it had passed and it calmed down again. Finally I laid down again and did manage to go to sleep after much rolling around!

0430-Bolted awake to the alarm and went to work with the morning routine. No movement on the barge or tugs.

0550-Finally decided to begin pulling anchors. More T-storms in the area. Pulled up the stern anchor first which was full of gunk again. Managed to get it clean enough and just left it in the cockpit to go forward and do the primary rode. Based on wind direction, I was concerned the boat would move down on the barge before I could pull up the anchor.

I saw some guys onshore waiting to go aboard the barge. Looks like I will beat them to their morning tasks.

Got the primary anchor up but had to use the windlass to break it loose. It was also a mess but I was able to clean it after several dunkings. The boat did not drift down on the barge but I just left everything on the tramp for later just to be sure it didn't!

0605-Pulled out of the anchorage.

0630-The tugs with barges left the harbor just after I did, not sure where they are headed?



Stormy looking again today. Still swell on the lake but wind only about 10 kts. I'm under power and also running the gen to boost the batteries which got down to 11.7 volts last night with the anchor light and fridge running.

ANOTHER STORMY MORNING!

Rolled out some Genoa to see if it will stay full enough to roll out the rest. ETA 1430-1500.

0645-Wind is up some so rolled out the rest of the Genoa. May be just a puff from the rain squall overhead?


A LOT OF WAVE ACTION FOR THE WIND STRENGTH

0815-Abeam Dunkirk, NY. Trip 13 NM, OAT 68F, cabin 70F.  Still big swells from the west (3'-4'), boat is surfing from time to time. Don't know what is causing them since the wind is only about 10 kts. I'm still a little down today, partly because of the weather, partly due to the grounding last night. The trip has had many good stretches but it is also one of the most problem plagued trip I have ever made. I may look at it differently once I get some rest.

0845-Wind to 18 kts now, have jibed several times due to wind right on the stern. Same problem yesterday. Still rain showers around. It seems like other than the first leg to Put In Bay, the passages on Lake Erie have all been rough and squally. A kayaker last night mentioned to me he has never seen anything like it. He compared it to weather in September. The good part is all the wind and waves are pushing me along at 6.0 kts plus.

0930-Distance to waypoint (DTW) is 24.4 NM which is the entrance to the outer breakwall at Buffalo.

1000-Swells are getting larger. Passed a trawler west bound and saw a small fishing boat...why is he out here??

Well the CB is not retracted tight as I thought and slaps the bottom of the boat from time to time.

The port winch is in need of maintenance. It will not turn easily when not under load.  Starboard is okay. Hopefully someone can do that type of work in Buffalo? Just another problem!

Boat is now surfing a lot. Not a comfortable feeling. SOG 5.7-6.0 kts. Trip 23 NM, over half way!


WAVES ARE HARD TO CATCH WITH A CAMERA!
1100-Had bagels and cream cheese for an early light lunch. Swells continue to build, winds 18 kts plus. Lots of wave for the wind.  Surfing now up to 8.5 kts or more. I can now see the high rises of Buffalo 15 NM away.  SOG 6-7 kts, unless surfing. The lake narrows as I approach Buffalo so I expect it to get worse.


1200-Swells to 6' now, wind up to 22 kts, speeds to 8.6 kts when surfing. ETA moved up to 1400. I'm hoping it is quieter behind the break walls!

1230-Called the marina about the tie up, but directions were pretty sketchy.


NORTH BREAK WALL ENTRANCE

LIGHT HOUSE AT BUFFALO RIVER ENTRANCE


1430-Docked at Buffalo River Marina. Less than desirable tie up.  Short dock, lots of metal structure, and debris floating on the water (as in logs).  Right across from Navy Pier downtown.


NAVY PIER ACROSS THE RIVER

They wanted me to tie up broadside in a rather short space between two docks in an upwind situation. I declined and after much wrangling went to a plan B which involved backing into the dock. I never do this unless I have to!


NOTE METAL BULKHEAD MATERIAL
HARD ON PLASTIC HULLS!

The place if very rough, no electricity at the dock. There are stations but they are not connected? Had to borrow a 200' cord to go to a light post. However everyone else had done the same thing so there was no room at the inn for another connection. I finally had to go ask for an adapter, which they provided but it wouldn't work due to the fat heads on the cords. I finally moved about half a dozen cords around in a combination that worked, however I had to take my knife to the owners cord to make it fit! Now I have power to the boat but water will be another problem! I'll tackle that later.

WiFi is about as bad. You can get it if you go set on a bench outside the office. I figured I could pick it up from the boat with my booster. I can but it is very weak. We'll see if I can upload pics. Would not recommend this place based on the amenities. I had to drag a large chunk of driftwood over the dock into another pile because one of it's branches was hitting the boat!  

Ridiculous, where is the summer clean up crew? I'm sure they can get the mast done just fine, but everything else is second or third rate, and I haven't looked at the rest rooms yet! They must have written there own Active Captain comments.

Some evening entertainment for the concert crowd across the river:

DON'T KNOW HOW THEY DO THIS!

TAKING A DIVE!
Stats: Trip 44.52 NM, WT 75.3 F, Total Log 7617.1 NM, Max Speed 8.73 kts, Max Wind 22.5 kts.  Total Great Lakes 813.1 NM

GREAT LAKES ROUTE
TOTAL DISTANCE GRAND MARAIS, MN TO BUFFALO, NY 813.1 NM

No comments:

Post a Comment