Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Leg 9-Detour to Presque Isle, MI (Day14)

0630-Started the day late in anticipation of having to hold for winds on the bow. 

0700-Weather looked like winds should be lighter than forecast so decided to go. This boat does not like motoring upwind in waves. Too much pitching!

0815-Departed dock and right away it became a slog upwind. Winds were not as light as indicated and waves were 2-3'


DETOUR LIGHT-START OF LAKE HURON

0900-Ship upbound and will cross my track, adjusted course to avoid and give me a larger margin than 1/2 mile. Rolled out some Genoa to help stabilize the boat, does help but difficult to keep full.


TRADITIONAL LAKER UPBOUND

1000-OAT 65F, Cabin 70F, SOG 4.2 kts., Trip 7 NM, DTW 35.9 NM, WT 57.2. Seas dropping some, but still rough ride.

1115-Wind dropped, seas coming down further, tried to sail but lost wind. Left main up under power. Made a cup of hot chocolate. ETA 1700


WIND CALM, SEAS GOING FLAT FINALLY!

1200-SOG 5.8 kts, still pitching but gettng better. Trip 17 NM, DTW 24.9 NM, WT 59F, OAT 72F, cabin 71F.

1230-Passed two sailboats north bound while I made lunch. Two toasted mini bagels with cream cheese. Chocolates for desert.

1300-Full sail, not supposed to have SSE wind but I do. Still motor sailing to make up lost time in the rough seas early in the leg.


NEW PRESQUE ISLE LIGHT (BUILT 1871)
TALLEST STRUCTURE ON GREAT LAKES AT 113' 

1630-Arrival Presque Isle. USCG met me at the dock even before I was tied up! The lead was rude and argued about regulations he obviously didn't know or was re-interpreting according to him. There were no problems and they were on their way. I was already bushed from the rough long morning and a long leg of over 43 NM. 


OLD PRESQUE ISLE LIGHT
LOWER WALLS ARE 4' THICK, BUILT 1840

I had been checked twice by Border Patrol in the Soo, the second group didn't proceed after they found out their buddies checked me the day before. Now the USCG. Still no one has found any problems.

1800-Finally got checked in, showered and had a great dinner at the yacht club. Walked around the area a little. Very pleasant marina with great trails and walkways around the harbor. You can smell the cedars on the trails.


HARBOR WALKWAY
YOU CAN REALLY SMELL THE CEDAR

2100-Debating with myself whether to stay and extra day here or not? Could maybe do the centerboard fix here if the weather cooperates? Water temp is okay and there is a small shoal I could pull up on to work under the hull.


SUN SHINING THROUGH T-STORM

BREAK WALLS ARE ALL HEAVY ROCK

2200-The day is not over, nor is the black cloud gone! It was after dark and I watched the lights of a boat pass my stern and then park where the USCG parked earlier. It looked suspicious and was either Border Patrol or Customs. Turned out to be Customs and they soon knocked on the side of the hull.

We talked for quite awhile but they did not ask to see any paperwork. They were very courteous and perhaps a little embarrassed since it was the USCG who called them and sent them my way. They asked some questions, seemed satisfied and went on their way but I had a hard time getting to sleep after that, wondering who was coming next! That did it for me, I was not going anywhere in the morning. I was a little rattled after the long day and two inspections.

Stats:  Trip 43.23 NM, WT 65.8F, Log 7164.5 NM, Max wind 17 kts, mas speed 6.55 kts.

No comments:

Post a Comment